Over the last few weeks I have been struggling with depression, I know that from reading other folks blogs that I am not alone in this, and from time to time if not suffering from depression that everyone feels down. With that in mind I wonder what lifts you? So I'd like you to share 5 things:Here are my answers, subject to change...:
1. A Scripture- it might be a verse or a whole book!
2. A piece of music.
3. A place.
4. A person/ group of people
5. Something you do...
1. Scripture: Most recently it has been the book of Revelation - and Christopher Rowland's commentary on it. It acknowledges the reality of everything that is wrong in the world yet lifts us up to the future for the world to come when God's kingdom is here in its fullness, and how wonderful that will be.
2. Music: I'm a rocker - anything by Switchfoot lifts me, but the song 'Where I belong' from the album Vice Verses has been it lately. It sounds kind of melancholy but there's a lot of hope in there.
3. Place: California. Can't make my mind up as far as ocean versus mountains, but California. If I can't get there, then being in a peaceful church alone is good, too.
4: Person(s): my kids.
5: Something I do: exercise; walking.
Thanks for asking the question, Sally, because just remembering what lifts me, actually lifts me.