'...dramatic or fairly common - what have been/are your lifesavers?':
1) Your lifesaving food/beverage: I would have to say water, though that sounds a bit boring. Coffee comes a very close second.
2) Your lifesaving article of clothing: my bra!
3) Your lifesaving movie/book/tv show/music: lifesaving book - the Bible; lifesaving music - rock! If I had both of those with me on a desert island, I would be fine.
4) Your lifesaving friend: at the risk of shocking him and even surprising myself, I would have to say my husband.
5) Your lifesaving moment: the moment my mom told me who Jesus is. I had been told many times before by many people, but that particular time, something different happened.